Grand Concourse Building Engulfed In Flames After Holiday Baking Blunder Causes Blaze

NY Daily News - December 22, 2010

by Mike Jaccarino and Rob Sgobbo

A fierce blaze consumed four floors of a 12-story building in the Bronx Tuesday - and it may have been sparked by a tenant whipping up holiday baked goodies.

The four-alarm fire charred the seventh through 10th floors of the Grand Concourse apartment building near E. 177th St. in Mount Hope at about 1 p.m., officials said.

Seven residents suffered minor injuries as 140 firefighters battled the flames for almost two hours, officials said. The injured were taken to Lincoln Hospital or Bronx-Lebanon Hospital.

Rances Gantier, 22, said he heard an explosion next-door to his seventh-floor apartment.

"A woman was making some cookies and she went downstairs and left them in the oven," he said. "The oven exploded and there was smoke all over."

"I saw a lot of flames coming from the windows," said Carolina Palacios, 30. "I'm sad because a lot of people lost their homes and possessions."

Fire officials have not confirmed the cause of the fire.