Girl Saved From Bx. Blaze

NY Post - October 31, 2009

by EBONY CLARK

Firefighters saved a 15-year-old Bronx girl from a blaze that engulfed her grandmother's apartment before dawn yesterday, authorities said.

Caitlin De La Cruz was trapped by smoke and heat in the 10th-floor apartment on 174th Street in Soundview after the fire broke out before 6 a.m.

Her wheelchair-bound grandmother, Martha Haines, escaped to a hallway, but firefighters from Engine Co. 45, Ladder Co. 58 spotted Caitlin gasping for air at a window.

They broke down the door and gave the girl oxygen. No serious injuries were reported.

Ladder 58 Capt. Joe Principio noted that the family had not replaced the batteries in the apartment's smoke detector.