Chopper 2 HD was live over the scene of the fire as firefighters fought the flames pouring out of a second floor window of the two-story apartment building at 415 City Island Avenue.
The water being used to fight the blaze was causing the electrical wires surrounding the building to spark, further complicating the job.
An FDNY official said most of the residents were out of the building, but there was word some tenants may have been trapped.
So far there was no word of injuries. Stay tuned to CBS 2 HD and WCBSTV.com for more.