Click Here for Original Story
WILLIAMSBRIDGE, the Bronx — A Bronx mother faces charged after her rhree children were critically injured in a fire at a Bronx home Monday morning, according to authorities.
Sources told PIX11 News that the mother was not home with the children — ages 1, 3 and 9 — when the second floor of the house on Burke Avenue, near Barnes Avenue, in Williamsbridge went up in flames around 9:30 a.m.
“We had fire blowing out of every window on that second floor of the house," FDNY Deputy Assistant Chief Joseph Ferrante said.
The children were found in one of the bedrooms and rescued from the building, according to the FDNY. They were rushed to a hospital in critical but stable condition, per the FDNY.
About 70 firefighters battled the fire, which was brought under control around 10:10 a.m.
According to sources, the mother said she left the children alone because she had to take a family member to a hospital and didn't want to risk exposing the them to COVID-19 by bringing them along.
She arrived at the home, visibly shaken and emotional, after the flames were brought under control.
The woman, Remi LAtei, 33, was questioned by police and later charged with three counts of endangering the welfare of a child.
Officials said Friday evening the cause of the fire was accidental and electrical, caused by building wiring. Non-working smoke detectors were in the home, the FDNY said.
The FDNY released a video of the damage caused by the blaze.