FDNY: 5 People Injured in Fire in Bay Terrace

silive.com - April 15, 2020

by Maura Grunlund

Click Here for Original Story

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Five people, including two firefighters, were injured in a residential fire in Bay Terrace early on Tuesday morning, according to the FDNY.

A neighbor said that a woman had to jump out of a window to escape the blaze.

Firefighters were called at about 2:48 a.m. to the fire on the 200 block of Timber Ridge Drive in a townhouse development, according to a spokesman for the FDNY/EMS.

The injured included three civilians, with two listed in serious condition and another considered to have suffered minor injuries, according to the spokesman.

The two firefighters suffered minor injuries in the “all-hands” blaze, which required about 60 firefighters and 12 units. The blaze was brought under control around 4:03 a.m., the FDNY spokesman said.

Patients were taken to Staten Island University Hospital in Ocean Breeze.

The fire was in a unit that spans the second and third floors of the condominium development. A husband, wife and an adult daughter who appears to be in her 20s live in the unit, according to neighbors.

“The person was banging on my door around 2:30 this morning to say that his house was on fire and to call 911, which is what I did," said Frank Cassano, who lives next door to the home that was on fire.

Emergency responders "arrived within seconds,” he said.

“The house was burning and I think his wife had jumped from the top window and the daughter was still in the house when the firemen got here and they took her out," Cassano said.

“Myself and my family, we had to climb down a ladder from our deck opposite his house," Cassano said.

Terry Marsh, another neighbor, said he was alerted to the fire when someone banged on his door.

“I woke my dog up, my wife, my son, we just took off out here,” Marsh said while standing outside his home. “The flames were already shooting out the windows.”

“I saw them take two people away in stretchers,” Marsh said. “The mother and daughter were supposedly in bad shape,” he said, adding he hopes they “will be all right.”

The electric has been turned off to condominiums in that area. “I got a ton of water in my house,” Marsh said.