Click Here for Original Story
Residents of a Brooklyn apartment grappled with fear and uncertainty Wednesday when an early morning fire left them without shelter amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The blaze broke out around 4:52 a.m. on the third floor of a four-story building at 152 Parkside Ave. near St. Pauls Place in Prospect Park South, fire officials said.
The fire spread to the top floor and was eventually brought under control around 5:45 a.m.
“I don’t have a family and it is an unfortunate and awkward situation with the virus,” said 39-year-old resident Torin Thomas. “We have fewer options to deal with this situation. I’ve never dealt with this before.”
A single mom of eight, Lakeisha Moffatt, said several of her kids have medical conditions that could make them more vulnerable to COVID-19.
“I have a child with lupus. I have children who are asthmatic,” Moffatt said. “We don’t have anyplace to go, especially with this virus going around.”
“I am trying to behave because my neighbors are in jeopardy. Our lives were almost taken today. They have not told us where we can go.”
Two residents suffered non-life-threatening injuries –– one serious and one minor –– and were both taken to Saint Barnabas, officials said.