Click Here for Original Story
NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- High levels of carbon monoxide sent five people to the hospital Sunday night, according to FDNY officials.
Officials were called to a closed down restaurant in Chinatown located at 86 Mulberry Street around 10:30 p.m. following a report of fumes sickening people in a building.
The victims were transported to Weill Cornell Medical Center where one was listed as critical, two others as seriously hurt and the last two suffered minor injuries.
FDNY determined the victims became sick as a result of elevated carbon monoxide levels.
Levels of carbon monoxide were measured at over 300 parts per million (ppm) causing the location to be fully evacuated and utilities to be shut down.
According to officials, people can suffer severe symptoms at levels over 100 ppm.
Firefighters had to break into the first floor restaurant to air it out and the incident was brought under control at about 11:35 p.m., officials say.