11 Hospitalized, Including 4 Firefighters, Over Elevated Carbon Monoxide Levels in Bronx Building

1010 Wins - February 19, 2020

by KIMBERLY DOLE

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Residents of a Bronx building are being allowed back into their homes after problems with the boiler apparently caused carbon monoxide problems Monday night, officials said.

The incident was reported at a building located on Decatur Avenue in the Fordham Manor section just before 5:30 p.m., authorities say.

Elevated levels of carbon monoxide sent seven residents, including a mother and her two children, and four firefighters to Jacobi Medical Center.

There is no word on their conditions, but all are expected to survive.

Building residents were evacuated after initial readings were reported to be about 500 ppm, FDNY said. Levels greater than 101 ppm are considered to be dangerous, according to Kidde Fire Safety.

FDNY were forced to shut down gas services and other tenants have no heat or hot water.

Officials confirm the building had working carbon monoxide detectors.