Multiple People Sickened from Carbon Monoxide in Bronx Building

WPIX 11 - February 18, 2020

by Anthony DiLorenzo

FORDHAM MANOR, the Bronx — Residents of 2679 Decatur Ave. in the Bronx were forced outside after a carbon monoxide leak.

Seven residents, including at least four children, were taken to Jacobi Medical Center for treatment in the facility’s hyperbaric chamber after being sickened by carbon monoxide. Four EMS workers were also sickened, according to the FDNY.

The call came in around 5:20 p.m., officials said.

“The initial call for EMS coming was they had two people that felt ill on the first floor. When they went into the building their carbon monoxide readers off their coats went for 200 parts per million,” said FDNY Deputy Chief Michael Gunning.

Anything over 100 parts per million is considered high. A total of 15 apartments were evacuated.

Residents told PIX11 the fire department went door-to-door, asking them to leave around 6 p.m.

Many residents said they were unaware of the leak until the FDNY arrived.