Owners of Made In NY Jazz Cafe & Bar announced the closure on Monday. Two people died in an apartment fire above the club last week.PARK SLOPE, BROOKLYN — An up-and-coming Brooklyn jazz bar is closed indefinitely after a fatal fire last week in an apartment above the the establishment.
Smoke and water from the fire and firefighters' endeavors to quell the flames caused "irreparable damage" to Made In New York Jazz Cafe and Bar, its owners in a statement released Monday.
The club will be closed indefinitely as they take stock of what happened, the owners wrote.
"Our light, sound, instruments, stage and bar have either been destroyed or badly compromised by smoke and water," the owners wrote. "It is likely to be another week before we're able to start to accurately assess how bad the situation is."
The owners said "first and foremost" their condolences went out to the families of Steven Munoz, 22, and Destiny Marmolejo, 22, who died in the fourth-floor apartment fire on Jan. 22.
Fire marshals judged the blaze to be accidental, likely caused by an extension cord.
Munoz's family started a GoFundMe for her funeral. It has raised $8,515 of a $20,000 goal, as of Monday morning.
Another GoFundMe has raised $240 so far Monday.
Made In New York opened recently last year as the brick-and-mortar face of a selfsame jazz competition. The club's owners canceled upcoming shows and are giving out refunds.
The seventh annual gala for the Made In New York Jazz Competition — this year honoring Charlie Parker — will still be held on May 16 at the Tribeca Performing Arts Center.
The club's owners didn't return message for comment, but their statement said they were looking to move before the fire.
"We had intended to move the venue in the coming months in any case but, given the uncertainties of our new reality, we are going to have to put a pause on these plans," it states. "Our intention is absolutely to reopen eventually, but where and when is a question we won't be able to answer for quite some time."