Man, Woman Dead In Blaze Above Park Slope Jazz Club, Police Say

The Patch - January 24, 2020

A man and woman died after a blaze erupted above a jazz club on Fifth Avenue in Brooklyn early Wednesday morning, police said. By Matt Troutman, Patch Staff

PARK SLOPE, NY — A man and woman are died after a fire erupted in their apartment above a Park Slope jazz club early Wednesday morning, police said.

Firefighters found Steven Munoz, 22, and Destiny Marmolejo, 22, on the top floor of a four-story building on Fifth Avenue near Lincoln Place after flames erupted about 2 a.m., according to the NYPD.

Medics rushed the pair to New York-Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital, where doctors pronounced the Munoz dead, police said. Marmolejo suffered critical injuries and died at about 1:15 p.m.

The fire devastated an apartment on the top, fourth floor of 155 Fifth Ave. The building is home to the Made In New York Jazz Cafe & Bar on the ground floor.

Michael Brovkine, one of the bar's owners, said it was closed when the fire erupted. He said the bar canceled all upcoming shows.

"We will be closed because the building is closed," he said.

Brovkine said the apartment sits right above his club's stage. Water from the firefighters' hoses appeared to have damaged the bar's piano and other instruments, he said.

About 100 firefighters responded to the fire, FDNY said. It took about an hour for them to quell the flames, they said.

The jazz club opened in the storefront last year as the brick-and-mortar face of the Made In New York Jazz Competition. Brovkine said he doesn't know how long it will take to reopen the bar following the fire.

He's more concerned about Munoz and Marmolejo.

"My condolences to the family and it's much more important than the club right now," Brovkine said.

Police said they didn't have information on the fire's cause.