SILive - May 11, 2019by Albert Rizzi
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- After receiving an early-morning phone call from an FDNY marshal, a Great Kills merchant ran to his store to find his business devastated by a fire and his storefront reduced to remnants of broken glass.
“I just renovated the place," said Sam Ngan, the owner of Eco Nails & Spa, located in a strip mall at 4166 Hylan Blvd. "I put new chairs, new tables, new furniture. Everything is new.”
Ngan said the business had been running for 12 years.
He speculated the cause of the fire could’ve been a faulty television inside.
“Every night when we get off, we would shut off the TV, but then this happened,” Ngan said.
He suggested that the television set might have overheated and that an electrical short might have started the blaze.
With Mother’s Day this weekend, Ngan says that this happened at the worst possible time for him, losing his store and money during one of his busiest times of the year.
Two other stores next to the nail salon suffered minor damage, Bozo’s Work Clothes and Footwear and Lifestyles of the Exquisitely Detailed.
Lisa Bateh, owner of Lifestyles of the Exquisitely Detailed, said she suffered water damage on her ceiling as well as burn damage on her walls.
The boutique owner received a phone call as well and saw from her video monitor on her phone that the store was full of smoke as she jumped in her car and rushed to the scene, she said.
“We’ll be back in business before you know it,” Bateh said.
The fire was reported at 6:13 a.m. at the strip mall, located between Walnut and Heinz avenues, according to an FDNY spokesman.
The blaze was brought under control at 6:57 a.m., the FDNY spokesman said.