Greenwich Village Fire Sparked By 'Electrical Unicycle': FDNY

patch.com - May 10, 2019

by Sydney Pereira, Patch Staff

A fire that injured two was caused by an electrical unicycle plugged into an outlet, according to FDNY Fire Marshals.

GREENWICH VILLAGE, NY — A fire that injured two in Greenwich Village was sparked by an electrical unicycle plugged into an outlet at a 10-story building in Greenwich Village, according to the Fire Department.

The fire broke out on the fourth floor of 99 University Place, between 11th and 12th streets, Wednesday, an FDNY spokesman said.

FDNY Fire Marshals said it was accidental and was sparked by an electrical unicycle plugged into an outlet at the building.

It is unclear what type of electric unicycle sparked the fire.

The fire was under control in about an hour, but the blaze left two people with minor, non-life-threatening injuries, the FDNY said. The two were transported to Mount Sinai Beth Israel.

Some 106 firefighters and medical services personnel responded to the emergency, the FDNY said.