WNBC 4 - March 03, 2019Several manhole fires ignited in Brooklyn on Saturday, with one burning for more than nine hours, officials said.
That fire in on Remsen Street in Brownsville also knocked out power to six nearby buildings, Con Edison said. One apartment building was also evacuated due to high carbon monoxide levels, officials said.
The fire broke out around 9 a.m. and was still flaming above ground at 6 p.m. At one point, the fire spread to a utility pole.
"Man I just woke up, I came outside," resident Alonzo Davis said. "I saw this pole right here on fire and I saw a gas hole blew up, there were flames everywhere. It was crazy."
Firefighters believe the manhole fires also caused a gas line to melt and a small gas leak.