NY Post - February 06, 2019by Natalie O'Neill and Stephanie Pagones
Firefighters raced to a burning pet shop in Manhattan on Tuesday and saved dozens of puppies and cats from the smoldering building, officials and owners said.
The quick-thinking smoke-eaters pulled all 46 pooches and two cats from American Kennels on the Upper East Side after a spark set the building’s installation on fire around 1:15 p.m., according to FDNY officials and owner Chad Conway.
“There was a ton of smoke,” Conway told The Post, adding it was hard to breathe. “But none of the puppies were hurt — I’m so grateful.”
Workers had been cutting a piece of metal to install an air-conditioning unit at the shop on Lexington Avenue and 62nd Street when the insulation caught fire, he said.
Within minutes, firefighters were there to rescue the hot dogs — and the fire was under control 20 minutes later, an FDNY official said.
The lucky dogs — including baby Chihuahuas Malteses, and Newfoundlands—will spend the night in a nearby boarding facility, he said. All of the dogs are fewer than 5 months old.
The building suffered minor damage, and the shop will likely open within a day, a worker said.
“It was chaotic but happy in the end,” Conway said.
No people or animals were injured.