FDNY: Space Heater Sparked Fire that Injured 7 in Cypress Hills

News 12 - January 25, 2019

CYPRESS HILLS - A space heater being used at a home in Cypress Hills is to blame for a fire that injured seven people, fire officials say.

The fire happened on Schenck Avenue on Monday. Fire officials say the fire started on the first floor. Thirteen people have been displaced and the home has been boarded up.

Six firefighters were hurt battling the blaze.

he FDNY hopes this serves as a warning for those who use space heaters. Fire officials say to make sure it's at least three feet away from anything. They say never use an extension cord with it and unplug the heater when it's not being used.

Those displaced by the fire are now in temporary housing.