Kid Playing with a Lighter Caused Accidental Fire in Bronx Apartment that Injured Five

NY Daily News - January 09, 2019

by GRAHAM RAYMAN

A fire that broke out in a Bronx apartment and injured a family of five, including a 7-year-old boy saved by firefighters, was caused by a child playing with a lighter, the FDNY said Tuesday.

The blaze engulfed a fifth-floor apartment on Baychester Ave.in Co-op City about 10:15 a.m. Saturday.

Firefighters crawled through black smoke and revived the 7-year-old boy and carried the five-member family out of the building.

The boy wasn’t breathing in a locked bathroom when the firefighters reached him. They also found the boy’s mom and two siblings in a back bedroom, and rescued his father from a dark hallway.

“We could have lost a whole family,” FDNY Deputy Chief William McCormack said on Saturday. “These guys did a great job of getting into the apartment that had a heavy fire situation.”

The child playing with the lighter accidentally set fire to the Christmas tree, the FDNY said, starting the blaze.

The FDNY determined the fire was accidental and smoke alarms were present and operating.