Electrical Fire Rips Through Stuyvesant Town Basements: FDNY

WNBC 4 - September 13, 2018

It took more than 100 firefighters roughly five hours to get the blaze under control, officials said. By Caroline Spivack, Patch Staff

GRAMERCY, NY — A three-alarm fire tore through the basement of a Stuyvesant Town building spreading to a strip mall with nine businesses before more than 100 firefighters extinguished the blaze, according to FDNY and Con Edison.

Firefighters responded to the electrical fire in the basement of 330 First Avenue in Stuyvesant Town just after 6 p.m. on Tuesday. Officials evacuated the 13-story building and nine nearby businesses, a FDNY spokesman said.

A Con Edison service box containing electrical equipment caught fire and spread to the buildings' basements. The flames damaged a "service line" connected to the building and some internal wiring in the properties, according to Con Edison.

The fire likely stemmed from typical wear and tear of a cable, said a Con Edison spokesman.

"In a general sense the cause is always the same with these things," said Allan Drury, a spokesman with Con Edison. "Equipment wears out and we have a very expansive electrical delivery system and from time to time components do fail."

It took roughly five hours for firefighters to get the blaze under control and as of Wednesday morning power has not been restored to the buildings.

A Con Edison crew is on the scene working to restore power to the properties as electricians for the private businesses make repairs to fried wiring within the stores.

No injuries were reported.