Man, Woman Die in Brooklyn Fire Apparently Sparked in Trash Bag

WNBC 4 - June 06, 2018

by NBC Local

A mother and her adult son are dead after a trash bag in a Brooklyn apartment apparently caught fire and quickly spread, neighbors and police say.

Neighbors said at the scene that the 36-year-old man and 59-year-old woman were mother and son, and the NYPD says they died some time after 2 Wednesday morning when the blaze broke out inside the East 22nd Street home in Flatbush.

The woman was pronounced dead at the scene inside apartment 6D, cops claim. The man was rushed to an area hospital suffering from smoke inhalation, but it was there where he ended up dying a short time later.

It’s not clear what may have sparked the fire, but police did say it appeared to have started in a trash bag. The FDNY said there was heavy clutter inside the apartment.

The names of the man and woman have not yet been released. The investigation is ongoing. Neighbors said they are in shock to hear about the mother and son's sudden deaths.