News 12 - December 28, 2017by News 12
More than 100 firefighters responded to the fire at a six-story building on Garden Street just before 4 a.m. It took them several hours to get the fire under control.
The FDNY says the fire started on the top floor.
Most people were allowed to return home, but several residents say their apartments are completely destroyed.
The Red Cross said it was assisting at least four families that were displaced.
"They are going to try to get us a place to stay at least overnight because we don't have a place to stay now," said Angel Olmo. "It's too cold to be on the streets."
Fire officials said one person was taken to the hospital for treatment.
The FDNY says the fire was accidentally caused by electrical wiring.