After Two Terrified Women Dangle From the Window of Their Top Floor Brooklyn Apartment, Firefighters Save Them — and One of Their Dogs — from Prospect Lefferts Gardens Blaze

NY Daily News - December 25, 2012

by Barry Paddock

Firefighters rescued two women from a fast-moving fire in a Brooklyn apartment building Monday morning, and emergency responders resuscitated their injured dog.

The blaze broke out about 6:45 a.m., sending five-foot flames through the roof of the three-story brick apartment building on Rogers Ave. in Prospect Lefferts Garden.

The victims were trapped in a top-floor apartment by the flames and heavy smoke.

“As we pulled up, we could see the two women in the window with heavy black smoke behind their heads,” said firefighter Paul Fehling, who was driving a firetruck for Ladder 113, the first unit on scene.

“They were both hanging out the window.”

Fehling extended an aerial ladder from his truck to the window, climbed up and guided the distraught women to safety.

“It’s always nice to be able to help people, especially around the holidays,” Fehling told The News.

“There was a lot of fire up above them. The fire was in the walls and up above the ceiling.”

The women were taken to Kings County Hospital but were not seriously injured, officials said.

Two of the women’s three dogs are believed to have died in the fire.

But a small white-haired dog was saved, and even given an oxygen mask for smoke inhalation by emergency responders.

It took more than 100 firefighters an hour and 20 minutes to bring the blaze under control, officials said.