Firefighters Battle Blaze at St. Marks Place Apartment

DNA Info - February 14, 2012

by Wil Cruz, DNAinfo News Editor

EAST VILLAGE -- An early-morning blaze broke out in a St. Marks Place apartment early Monday, police and residents said. The fire sparked about 6:45 a.m. on the first floor of 17 St. Marks Place, FDNY officials said. Fire officials said an unidentified woman suffered a minor injury. She was taken to New York Hospital.

Rohan Prabhudesai, 20, a New York University student who lives in the building, said he was fast asleep in his apartment when a neighbor ran in.

"The tenant in apartment 2 ran in crying, 'Fire!' Once we opened the door, smoke started pouring in," said Prabhudesai.

He said the woman then "ran back and got her records, her wallet," from inside her apartment. "She wanted to go back to get more, but we didn't let her."

"I got a small glimpse," inside the woman's charred and smoke-filled apartment, and added, "Everything was gone."

The fire was under control about 7:10 a.m., FDNY officials said.