Thursday, November 3rd, 2016
for Special Membership Meeting
Hilton New York JFK Airport Hotel, Queens, NY
- UFA 2017 Calendars Available Today
Delegates or alternates should pick up their Company's calendars at today's meeting, calendars are at your Borough Trustee table.
- Healthplex Benefits Provider Table Today
Healthplex administrator professionals have a table today to provide info, literature, and answer questions about UFA Dental Plan options during this rollover period.
- Flu Vaccinations Available Today
UFA Sergeant-at-Arms / Health & Safety Officer, Michael Schreiber, has arranged with FDNY BHS to have Flu Shots administered before and during today's meeting. It is recommended that all members avail themselves of this opportunity. This is the BEST way for members to protect themselves and their families.
- Security Benefit Fund (SBF) Help Table Today
Members who require help regarding dental, prescription drugs, optical or any other benefits provided via the UFA SBF, should visit the SBF table today. SBF personnel are there to help you.
Special Order of Business
Proposed Constitution Amendments The proposed UFA Constitution Amendments will be discussed and voted upon today. The UFA Executive Board would like to thank all the Constitution Committee members that attended the October 7th meeting. The Executive Board and Constitution Committee's votes along with the complete text of the Proposed Amendments are also attached to this report.
Counter Terrorism Task Force Update
The UFA filed a formal request with Office of Labor Relations Commissioner Bob Linn to
have a bargaining session over the recent implementation of the Rescue Task Force, pursuant to NY City Collective Bargaining Law.
In addition, discussions have been held with the UFOA and both Executive Boards are working together over this program.
Election Day is *THIS* Tuesday, November 8 and the UFA Executive Board has put out a list of our endorsements. These are the best candidates that support firefighters, firefighters families and our issues. The candidate endorsement lists will be available at the UFA Trustee Tables and will be on the UFA Website as well. So please get out and vote!
PA/ID 5-74 Change
The department recently removed the ability of members to work MSOT while on vacation,
a policy which was first implemented in June of 2012 as temporary measure to ensure staffing in all companies. The UFA did not object at that time, because of low headcount and the real possibility of brownouts of field units. UFA President James Slevin will update the membership.
Health Care Transfer Deadline Approaching
The City Health Plan's transfer period is as follows: Active Members can change health
plans October 11th - November 11th. Health plan changes requested during the Transfer Period will be effective the first day of the first full payroll period in January 2017 for Active Members. Late changes will not be accepted by the City!!!
During the annual Transfer Period active members may transfer into any health plan offered for which they may be eligible, add or drop optional rider coverage or add or drop dependent(s). To make changes (including enrolling in the Buy-Out- Waiver Program), the member must complete a Health Benefits Application. (To elect the Buy-Out Waiver Program or change health premium contribution tax status, members must fill out both a Medical Spending Conversion Enrollment/Change Form and a Health Benefits Application).
Forms are available at www.nyc.gov/olr or through the Health Desk at Fire Headquarters. Members who waive their City health benefits will lose their PICA drug coverage. Certain changes can instead be made on the City's Employee Self Service (ESS) website at www.nyc.gov/ess.
- Active Employees: October 11, 2016 - November 11, 2016, Effective First full pay cycle in January 2017.
- Retirees: November 1, 2016 - November 30, 2016, Effective January 2017.
- Flexible Spending Accounts Program: September 19, 2016 - November 30, 2016,
Effective January 1, 2017.
*IMPORTANT NOTE: If adding or deleting a spouse or child using ESS, the on-line updates will be held as "pending" until hard copies of the correct documentation (per Dept. policies) are received.
Dental Changeover in November
Healthplex administrator professionals will have a table to provide info, literature, and answer questions about UFA Dental Plan options during the rollover period at today's Union Meeting.
UFA Dental Enrollment Period is from October 15th - December 15th, Effective Date January 1, 2017. Any changes received AFTER December 15th will be Effective February 15, 2017.
On Tuesday, November 1st, all the WTC Health Program (WTCHP) Clinics, including the FDNY, will have a new Pharmacy Benefit Manager (PBM) - Optum
On Tuesday, November 1st, all the WTC Health Program (WTCHP) Clinics, including the FDNY, will have a new Pharmacy Benefit Manager (PBM) - Optum.
- A letter was sent to our members explaining the change. The letter should arrive to our members by Nov 1st. The letter will include the member's new WTC Health Program I.D. card, for use for WTC prescriptions being filled at a local pharmacy. Our members should place the new WTCHP I.D. card in their wallets and remove any previous (no longer valid) WTCHP I.D. cards from their wallets
What does this transition to the new PBM mean?
- WTC long term maintenance medication prescriptions will continue to be processed and
shipped by Walgreens Mail Service, in Tempe, Arizona - No Change
WTC Health Program Changes Pharmacy Benefit Manager - (PBM) - Optum
- All active FDNY WTC Mail Service maintenance medication prescription refills will be transferred to the new Optum WTC prescription coverage, and will process and ship on the same refill time schedule, without any action required on the part of our members
- Our members will be able to fill their WTC local pharmacy prescriptions (i.e. antibiotics and other emergent meds, short term fill-in maintenance med scripts, and controlled substances) at the same convenient local pharmacy they have been using - No Change
- For members with active WTC prescription refills at a local pharmacy (i.e. sleep meds, ED meds, meds for members in the Diagnostic Eval status, etc.) those refills will be transferred and processed under the new Optum WTC prescription coverage
- Each member's 911 WTC Health Program I.D. number will remain the same - No Change
- The toll free contact number for the NIOSH WTC Health Program Pharmacy Plan remains the same - 1-888-982-4748
Health & Safety Seminar at UFA
UFA Health & Safety Officer Michael Schreiber will be conducting a seminar at UFA
headquarters for all Battalion Delegates. Once a date and agenda are finalized, a mailing will go out to the Battalion Delegates. Please reach out to Michael, if you have any special requests or topics you'd like discussed.
UFA Delegates Choice of Vacation
As per PA/ID 3-92, Official UFA Delegates may request a "Delegates Vacation" to change
only half of their regularly assigned vacation. All Delegates must submit Form BP-550 to the Bureau of Personnel no later than December 20th.
UFA Scholarship Fund Awards
The UFA Scholarship Fund mailed scholarship checks this week to over 800 eligible members
and dependents who filed by the deadline. Any member who does not receive a check by November 18th should contact Katie Kelly, 646-839-6506.
Update Your Address, Email, Phone #s with the UFA
Members and Delegates wishing to receive important information or notifications from the UFA should insure that their residence addresses, email addresses, home and cell phone numbers on file with the UFA are updated and accurate. In order to do this, you must prepare and sign a 'SBF Change of Address Form' and mail to the UFA, Attn: SBF. Forms can be obtained from your Delegate, who can assist you, or you can call the UFA SBF at 212-683-4723, or visit the Forms Section of the UFA web site. Additionally, members wishing to receive e-mails from the UFA should add the UFA e-mail address, UFA@ufanyc.org, to their contacts. Members are reminded to also notify the Fire Department of your changes, especially your mailing address.
James M. Slevin