- The FDNY Counseling Service Unit (CSU) - available 24/7 with Satellite Locations in Manhattan, Fort Totten, Brentwood, Staten Island, and Middletown. Their main contact number is 212-570-1693.
- Uniformed Firefighters Association (UFA) - The UFA's phone number is 212-683-4832.
- Uniformed Fire Officers Association (UFOA) - The UFOA's phone number is 212-293-9300 and their website is www.ufoa.org.
- The Firefighters Cancer Support Network (FCSN) - We have partnered with this organization and believe it to be a worthwhile support system with many additional resources. They can be reached at 866-994-FCSN. You can also visit them online at www.FirefighterCancerSupport.org.
- NY Firefighter Heart and Lung Institute. (516) 869-5277 www.fdnyheart.com Will proactively screen you through advanced testing to find conditions early and take action to decrease or eliminate potential impacts your job as a firefighter has on your health.
- Friends of Firefighters - a Brooklyn based (but serving all) support group that is unwavering in their commitment to our membership. They can be reached at 718-643-0980. You can also visit them online at www.friendsoffirefighters.org.
- FealGood Foundation - The primary mission of the FealGood Foundation, a non-profit
organization, is to spread awareness and educate the public about the catastrophic health effects on 9/11 first responders, as well as to provide assistance to relieve these responders of the financial burdens placed on them since 9/11. They can be reached at (631) 724-3320 or through their website at www.fealgoodfoundation.com or via email at email@example.com.
- LT Thomas Healy Foundation - Started in memory of Lt Thomas Healy, a Firefighter for 32 years who passed away from cancer. This is the family's way of honoring his memory and continuing his tradition of selfless giving. The foundation provides financial assistance to members of the FDNY who have family members battling cancer or are themselves faced with this monumental challenge. The website is www.lthealyfoundation.org. Phone Number is 631-747-3016, and email address is firstname.lastname@example.org or call (631) 388-2570.
Oncology Resources Mental Health & General Supportive Services:
- Cancer Care, American Cancer Society, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (see contact information below).
- The Wellness Community/Gilda's Club (888)793-WELL www.gildasclub.org; free support for patients, families, children, teens, bereavement, lectures, networking groups, workshops, and social events.
- Cancer Hope Network (877) HOPE-NET www.cancerhopenetwork.org; phone peer matching program.
- Imerman Angels (312) 274-5529 www.imermanangels.org; phone peer matching program.
- AMC Cancer Information & Counseling Line (800) 525-3777 www.amc.org.
- American Psychosocial Oncology Society (APOS) 615-432-0090, www.apos-society.org; free
hotline providing referrals for local counseling and support services throughout the country.
Housing Resources for Patients
- ACS Hope Lodge (212) 237-3865 www.cancer.org; complimentary housing for patients who
relocate to NYC for treatment. Social worker must submit application.
- Joe's House (877) 563-7468 www.joeshouse.org; clearinghouse of lodging options for cancer patients while traveling.
Transportation and Other Financial Assistance
- American Cancer Society (800) ACS-2345 www.cancer.org (transportation reimbursement
program -- assistance with durable medical equipment).
- Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (800) 955-4572 www.lls.org (reimbursement for transportation, co-pay assistance program, Medicare premium assistance).
Resources for Prescription Drug Assistance (funding is limited and can change, please call to confirm availability)
- Healthwell Foundation (800) 675-8416 www.healthwellfoundation.org assists with co-payments for pharmaceuticals to insured patients who meet criteria for Breast, Lung, Colorectal and Pancreatic Cancer.
- Good Days (877) 968-7233 www.mygooddays.org; Good Days provides financial support for patients who cannot afford the medication they urgently need.
- Patient Services Incorporated (800) 366-7741 www.patientservicesinc.org; assists patients in locating health insurance policies, provides health insurance premium assistance, COBRA, & co-payment assistance for specific cancers.
- Patient Advocate Foundation (800) 532-5274 www.copays.org; Provides co-payment assistance for pharmaceuticals to insured patients who financially and medically qualify for specific cancers & secondary issues as a result of cancer treatment.
- Cancer Legal Resource Center www.disabilityrightslegalcenter.org; (866) THE-CLRC provides free & confidential information and resources on cancer-related legal issues to people with cancer.
- Cancer Legal Line www.cancerlegalline.org; general legal information on insurance topics, workplace issues, estate and financial concerns and government benefits.
- The Family Center (800) 219-4522 www.thefamilycenter.org; free bilingual services, assists seriously ill parents to develop & execute legal custody plans.
Other Helpful Resources
This list was compiled by the UFA Health and Safety Office. These are suggestions of support options that are available and should not be considered endorsements. If you have any feedback or would like to recommend additional organizations, please contact the UFA Health & Safety Office at 212-545-6965 or via email to email@example.com.
- The Cancer Information Service (800) 4-CANCER www.cancer.gov; information and referral
service may be able to direct patients to other sources of assistance including information on clinical trials.
- Gods Love We Deliver (212) 294-8102 www.glwd.org; prepares and delivers meals to people with cancer, services the five boroughs & Hudson County, NJ.
- Team Continuum (917) 595-4169 www.teamcontinuum.net; local, non-profit provides financial assistance for non-medical assistance to cancer patients, MD, RN or social worker will need to fax completed application for financial assistance.
- National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship (NCCS) (877) 622-7937 www.canceradvocacy.org; informs and advocates on behalf of cancer survivors regarding insurance, employment & legal rights, provides free publications.
- Tony Caracciolo Will visit your firehouse and give training on a variety of important topics including properly filling out a CD-72.