Fire Officials Remind New Yorkers of Fire Safety

NY 1 - December 26, 2010

A week after a four-month-old died in a Brooklyn house fire, firefighters are reaching out to New Yorkers to make sure they know how to keep their homes safe.

The New York City Fire Department's Fire Safety Education Unit is handing out pamphlets today which urge people to check their smoke detector batteries and talk to children at home about the dangers of playing with matches.

Four-month-old Aniyah Vaughn died after flames broke out at a home in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn on Thursday.

Investigators say a child playing with matches ignited the flames.

The home had a smoke detector, but it was not working.

Members of the Fire Safety Education Unit are at St. George's Church at 800 Marcy Avenue, Brooklyn through noon today.