by a fire Monday.
Firefighters returned to Midland Beach in the afternoon and gave presents to residents whose houses were gutted in an early-morning blaze.
The fire started in a home on Grisby Avenue and quickly spread to a group of adjacent houses. All of the residents were evacuated.
“I was looking out my window and I saw some flames and smoke coming out the top window of the middle house there,” said John Cammarata, who lives on the block. “The guy who lives there was frantic. We ran across the street, and we got the kids out, ran over here and got the guy and his daughter out. His wife just had a baby. It spread really quickly; in about three or four minutes, everything was engulfed in flames.”
Fire investigators say a faulty gas furnace sparked the blaze.