Two-Alarm Fire Destroys East Village Church

NY 1 - October 20, 2006

A fire charred an East Village church, causing it's roof to collapse Thursday morning.

The fire started just before 9 a.m. at the St. Phillip's AME church, which resides inside a 2 story commercial building on East 12th Street and Avenue B.

Firefighters had the fire under control in about 45 minutes.

"The church has been here many, many years, so it's a big loss for us," said neighborhood resident Nelly Santiago. "It's very painful, so much for me. It's not my congregation, but it's my sister congregation, so it's very painful."

Officials say the fire was caused by a gas leak.