Basement Pig Roast Being Blamed for Blaze in East Flatbush Apartment Building

NY Daily News - December 31, 2017

by TODD MAISEL, THOMAS TRACY

A pig roasting on a spit for a New Year’s Eve feast is being blamed for a fire that ripped through a Brooklyn apartment building Sunday morning.

Revelers hoping to ring in the New Year with fresh-cooked pork wound up chased from their East Flatbush home when a blaze ignited near the basement cooking area, according to sources with knowledge of the case.

Firefighters were called to the six-story building on Lenox Road near Rogers Ave. about 9:50 a.m. as the fire was tearing through the basement and first floor.

More than 100 firefighters fought the blaze, which was under control within a half hour.

No injuries were reported, an FDNY spokesman said.

The FDNY could not immediately confirm if the fire began with the botched pig roast.

But photos show a smoking pig carcass skewered on a large rod in a smoke-filled basement room.