Fire that Killed Teen was Caused by Someone Smoking: FDNY

NY Post - December 05, 2017

by Daniel Prendergast

The weekend fire that killed a 12-year-old Queens boy was caused by someone who was smoking in his apartment — and there were no working smoke detectors in the home, the FDNY said.

Thomas Curly died when the blaze started inside his family’s Bell Harbor apartment on Ocean Promenade around 3 a.m. Sunday.

“TJ,” as he was known, became trapped in his bedroom, which quickly filled with smoke, officials said.

Firefighters beat back the flames and pulled the boy out of the building, rushing him to St. John’s Hospital, where he died.

Fire Marshals later said the fire was started accidentally by someone smoking.

A 64-year-old woman was killed later Sunday morning in what the FDNY later determined was another accidental fire caused by burning incense, officials said.

The flames started on the seventh floor of 63-year-old Betty Jean Staton’s building on First Avenue near East 100th Street around 6 a.m.

She was pronounced dead at the scene.

There were no smoke detectors in her apartment, officials said.