Fire Erupts Inside Columbia University Building for Second Time in Two Days

NY Daily News - December 02, 2017

by THOMAS TRACY

A small fire ignited inside a Columbia University building in Morningside Heights Friday — the second time in two days a blaze broke out at one of the college’s properties.

The flames, sparked by an overheated dryer, broke out inside a fifth floor apartment on W. 116th St. and Amsterdam Ave. about 1:10 p.m., an FDNY spokesman said.

The college rents out apartments in the building to faculty and graduate students, a college spokeswoman said.

A housekeeper and the tenant’s dog were in the apartment when the blaze started, and escaped without injury.

Medics rushed two people to Mt. Sinai/St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital with minor injuries, firefighters said.

Two hundred students were evacuated from Ruggles Hall on W. 114th St. near Amsterdam Ave. after a fire at 11:15 p.m. Wednesday. No one was injured.

Those flames were caused by a piece of clothing draped over a halogen light bulb, a University spokeswoman said.