CBS 2 - November 28, 2017by CBS Local
NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — No injuries were reported after a gas leak forced residents out of their apartments in Chelsea Monday morning.
The FDNY says a construction crew digging around 9 a.m. on West 19th Street and 10th Avenue accidentally broke the valve of a four-inch gas main, causing a high pressure leak.
“We responded initially, realized what we had, transmitted a second alarm to get more personnel here to help evacuate the buildings around the area in the event that it did ignite,” FDNY Manhattan Borough Commander Roger Sakowich said.
At least six buildings had to be evacuated. Resident Jasmina had firefighters at her door.
“They woke me up, they told me I had to evacuate the building,” she told WCBS 880’s Peter Haskell.
The FDNY also closed a section of the High Line that was right above the area of the leak.
Con Edison workers shut down the gas before residents were allowed to return to their apartments.