SILive - November 12, 2017by Shane DiMaio
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- Multiple firefighters were hospitalized following a house fire in Annadale Saturday afternoon.
At approximately 3:04 p.m., FDNY units responded to a blaze that tore through the first floor of a two-story private home, located at 573 Annadale Rd., according to an FDNY spokeswoman.
According to police transmissions, firefighters needed to clear clutter to gain access to the home, which was in a state of disrepair.
Firefighters dealt with heavy smoldering underneath the clutter, according to radio transmissions.
It took approximately two hours to thoroughly extinguish the blaze; the fire was placed under control at 5:35 p.m, the FDNY said.
Five firefighters suffered minor injuries at the residence and were transported via ambulance to Staten Island University Hospital, Prince's Bay, said the spokeswoman.
The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, added the spokeswoman.