Man Dies after Fire Breaks Out in His Ozone Park Home, FDNY Says

NY 1 - September 25, 2017

by NY 1

A man was killed Sunday morning after natural gas accidentally sparked a fire in his home in Queens, the city fire department said.

It happened around 2:37 a.m. at a three-story home on 97th Ave. near 107th St. in Ozone Park.

Firefighters said they found Mohinvei Singh, 68, dead in the basement after they extinguished the blaze.

Fire officials said they cannot clarify how the natural gas sparked the fire at this time.

The Medical Examiner will determine the exact cause of Singh's death.

60 firefighters responded to the scene and managed to get the fire under control about an hour later.