Fire that Gutted Tribeca Building Started in Restaurant's Kitchen

NY Daily News - September 06, 2017

by GRAHAM RAYMAN

A massive blaze that gutted a Tribeca building started in kitchen duct work, FDNY officials said Wednesday.

The Friday evening fire on Murray St. near Church St. was accidental and started in a restaurant on the ground floor, investigators found.

The flames spread fast through the ventilation system to the rest of the five story building and the roof, according to FDNY Manhattan Borough Commander Roger Sakowich.

Medics treated 11 firefighters for minor injuries.

Authorities said that nobody was on the upper floors when the fire broke out.