Child Hospitalized after Pipe Bursts in Manhattan NYCHA Apartment

NY 1 - July 13, 2017

by NY 1

A burst water pipe at a New York City Housing Authority (NYCHA) apartment in East Harlem on Wednesday hospitalized a child, officials said.

Fire officials responded to reports of someone with burns around 7:17 a.m. in a sixth floor apartment in the George Washington Houses.

The child was taken to Metropolitan Hospital for treatment.

His mother told NY1 that the extent of his injuries is not yet known.

"My daughter had woke up, it was dripping. She woke me up around 7, it was dripping. I called the fire department, EMS," Ariel Williams said. "And we had rushed him to the emergency room."

"He's scared now to come in the bathroom," Williams continued. "I'm going to have to deal with him and with the whole burning incident and him being scared."

Williams, who has two other children living in the apartment, claimed the pipe has been leaking since 2014.

She said water now fills her children's rooms and the bathroom.

NYCHA officials said its staff is working to fix the underlying cause as quickly as possible.