Smoking Caused Fatal Elm Park Fire, FDNY Says

DNAinfo - February 14, 2017

by Nicholas Rizzi

STATEN ISLAND — A fire that killed a man and injured 14 others when it tore through an Elm Park house was caused by a cigarette, fire officials said.

The blaze inside 1028 Post Ave., near Herbeton Avenue, on Thursday morning was caused by a "careless discard" of a lit cigarette, the FDNY said.

The fire started about 7 a.m. inside the home and was eventually brought under control by about 140 firefighters at 8:59 a.m. during a snow storm.

The man who died was found on the first floor of his home.

The victim's brother, a 69-year-old man, was one of those injured. He was taken to Staten Island University Hospital North in critical condition, according to police and FDNY Commissioner Daniel Nigro.

A 12-year-old girl, 43-year-old man, 26-year-old man and 11-year-boy were also injured in the fire and treated for smoke inhalation and minor bruises at the hospital, police said.

Seven firefighters also sustained minor injuries, the FDNY said.

Police had not released the name of victim as of Monday.