Christmas Day Fire Mars Eltingville Home

SI Advance - December 26, 2014

by Vincent Barone

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – A one-alarm fire burned through the first floor of an Eltingville family's home late Christmas Day.

The fire erupted the first floor of 629 Barlow Ave. around 7:30 p.m. Five engine and three ladder companies from the FDNY responded to the blaze within minutes. NYPD were also on the scene.

According to an FDNY fire chief, the fire was extinguished at 8:00 p.m., before it could reach the home's second floor. No injuries were reported.

"As a concerned neighbor, my compliments to the FDNY and the NYPD for a speedy and organized response," said Robert Covello, of Eltingville, who happened on the scene as the fire was being put out.

The fire chief at the scene said that one family member was home when the fire broke out and that the blaze appeared to stem from a cooking-related incident.

"It's a shame that something like this happened on Christmas," said bystander Matt Tesoriero, also of Eltingville.

The family that lives in the house watched from the street as the FDNY tended to the blaze. They declined to comment.