NY 1 - February 24, 2012Fire investigators are looking into what sparked a high rise fire in Lower Manhattan Thursday morning.
The New York City Fire Department says flames broke out around 7:30 a.m. inside an apartment located at 388 Pearl Street.
Firefighters rescued the residents with a ladder extending up eight stories.
Six people, including an infant, were taken to New York Downtown Hospital.
A fire chief says a person left the apartment door open, spreading smoke through the hallways.
One man tried to jump to safety on his own.
"The man was actually on the window sill. He had bed sheets tied together, ready to slide down the bed sheets. We had the ladder companies and the engine companies going up the interior of the building trying to make a push down the hallway."
Investigators were sorting through the apartment where the fire started, in order to determine a cause.