NY Post - October 09, 2011by DOUGLAS MONTERO and REBECCA HARSHBARGER
"She wasn't crying and she was conscious," said witness Ed Rodgers, 31.
Firefighters scaled ladders to get to the upper-story windows that billowed smoke into the early morning air.
"It was heroic," Rodgers said of the city's Bravest. "They did an awesome job."
The blaze broke out at 5 a.m. on the fifth floor of a Manhattan Avenue apartment building, and the flames trapped top-floor residents, including the baby girl and three other children, fire officials said. The baby was bundled onto a stretcher and given oxygen by firefighters.
Several residents were taken to St. Luke's Hospital with minor injuries.
"We were up early and we turned on our TV, and sparks just flew out," said one resident, who speculated that the blaze was electrical.