FDNY: Candle Started Fatal Belmont Fire

NY 1 - July 02, 2011

Fire officials said Friday that a candle started a fire in The Bronx that killed a 12-year-old boy and his parents back in April.

The fire was ruled an accident.

Flames broke out in a three story building on Prospect Avenue in Belmont on April 25.

Twelve-year-old Christian Garcia, 36-year-old Juan Lopez and 40-year-old Christina Garcia were killed.

Officials said the building was illegally divided, blocking access to fire escapes.

Con Edison representatives said the building's electricity was cut off because there was no record of anyone living there.