NY 1 - March 27, 2011Some Washington Heights residents are pointing fingers at their landlord after a fire in their building.
The fire department says flames broke out around 6:30 p.m. Saturday on the fifth floor of 607 West 180th Street.
The fire was under control within about an hour.
Six people suffered minor injuries.
It's still not clear what sparked the flames.
Residents claim the building had no fire detectors and that they've called the city's 311 hotline to report numerous violations.
"We've been complaining and complaining. He doesn't take care of anything. He doesn't care. All he wants to do is collect rent," said one tenant.
"There's a whole bunch of issues in the building. There's no smoke alarms. There's a lot of violations with the electrical code I can imagine. Everything is just done by not licensed people I bet and they never really come back to fix anything,"s aid another.
NY1 has reached out to the landlord for comment.
The Buildings Department says the building has been cited for 11 violations.
The Red Cross is helping residents displaced by the fire.